Wow – our blog is pretty covered in cobwebs. There is PLENTY to share – just now finally getting some time to sit down and catch everyone up.
Our entire summer has been spent in front of computers from sun-up to sun-down. It’s a little weird to sit down at our screens this week and not see Final Cut and Photoshop files with Travis Mills in them. Most feature-length movies are put together in fancy editing suites. Travis was edited at a kitchen table, on one computer. The editing of this film – and especially the last few weeks – well . . . that’s a whole OTHER story. The experience was certainly “made for movies” – more of a comedy. We’ll save that for another blog post.
. . . . . . .
We took most of the summer off from filming but had two weddings earlier this month. It was reassuring to know we still know how to shoot together, but I have to admit we woke up the day after feeling a little like the Tin Man – “Oil can. Oil can.”
I think our brains are enjoying going back to editing things that aren’t quite so intense. I’ve missed pretty dresses, sweet vows and silly reception dancing. It’s nice to be going to FedEx with black packages with bows on them again, and can’t wait to share some our new weddings. I will definitely acknowledge that we’ve had some pretty patient couples – as our movie sprouted from just a seed to a gigantic bean stalk, they’ve been more than understanding and we are much looking-forward to them now viewing their OWN movies!!
Having to step out of the wedding world for a bit has been bittersweet. While it’s always nice to work on something different to challenge yourself (oh and CHALLENGE us it DID – the novel we could write!!), it’s hard to see what you’re missing out on. We haven’t been able to join in our wedding videographer get togethers, we missed the super-cute Brides of North Texas brunch, and haven’t been able to be involved with much on the wedding end. Excited to jump back in!
We still have a few good dates open this fall, for those still looking for wedding cinematography.
. . . . . . .
We’ll share more on last week’s film premiere and new developments with the film at a later date but here are just a few highlights . . . .
- First off – many thanks for your support and encouragement. It has been a journey and your words have kept us going.
- Thursday’s Dallas premiere at the Angelika Theater was so fun. Over 400 people attended and both theaters sold out. You can check out pics and news bites from the event on the Facebook page.
- The film then screened for the weekend in Travis’s hometown of Vassar, Michigan – where all five showings sold out as well. The film will be screening there for another week, starting this Friday.
- If you were a Kickstarter backer for the film (or per-ordered a copy of the film), your rewards and DVDs will be sent out in the next few weeks. We have almost 300 packages to send out ourselves so we are working to get them out asap.
- Due to the overwhelming response to the film, we are looking into more showings throughout the country. Bear with us – this is new territory that we are not very familiar with (remember – this was suppose to be a 10-minute blog film). If you just happen to be familiar with this process – we’d love your suggestions.
- The best (and easiest!) thing you can do to help is to share about the film on social media. Not dollars – just a few mouse clicks 🙂 If you attended a showing, we’d love to hear what you thought. If you’d like a big screen viewing in your area, please let know.
FACEBOOK – www.facebook.com/TravistheMovie
TWITTER – @TravistheMovie
Hashtags – #travisthemovie #fotolanthropy
Web – www.travisthemovie.com